Saturday 13 August 2016

Is the Little Owl in residence?

Coming home at twilight a little owl fledgling was sitting in the road about 20 meters away from a tree where I have put up a little owl box. The bird sat in the road then flapped up into a nearby tree. When I put the box up 5 years ago it looked like a good place - a big horizontal branch for the chicks to site out on and tucked away in the ivy near the main trunk of an oak. I thought that it was empty, but I will be keeping a close eye out for 'branching' chicks from now on - and I will make an expedition today to look for pellets under the box.


The little owl box has a 'turn' in it as they like to be hidden away without a direct visual line to the box entrance. The pictures below are of another little owl box which I had a camera in - unfortunately the whole branch that this one was on fell down and I haven't put this second little owl box back up yet - another job for the autumn.


No comments:

Post a Comment