Thursday 15 September 2016

Field and grass cutting

The field has been cut - much later than I have done this before so it will be interesting to see the results.
It has not been harrowed so there is still a dense thatch that is preventing the light getting to the seeds on the ground.
It will be harrowed soon, so this will let the light in and get the seeds to germinate.

The late summer cut is also underway - I am doing this for some of the borders and hedge bottoms to grow the later flowering summer plants that will not survive the earlier cut is in the spring meadow.

This labour intensive, as it needs to be done by front bar mower, hay rake and scythe.

I found a strange hole in the grass that looked like a bowl with a hole in the earth underneath it. This looked very strange so I moved the grass with a pitch fork - the ran as fast as I could when I saw the number of wasps flying in and out!


No comments:

Post a Comment