Monday 13 February 2017

Moles at work

I have read that molehills are a sign of health grassland. If this is the case I have a very healthy field. I guess that you only get moles where there are lots of worms and a good worm population is the indicator of field health. The wildflower meadow is completely covered in molehills, which I am raking flat and then using as a seedbed to scatter some hay rattle and red clover seeds that I kept to one side during the autumn sowing.


I have read a lot about rattle needing to be frozen before germinating, but in previous years it has looked as if the seed scattered in late February has done pretty well even though it has probably only had one or two frosts.

I am just thinking about getting some more plug plants to go in during the next couple of weeks as the first of the warmer spring days. Trouble is that they have to get established before the grass really starts to grow, so need to be planted in the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment