Tuesday 25 October 2016

Bulb planting in full swing

A little late in the year, but I am about half way through bulb planting. The ground in the wood is extraordinarily dry so I am worried that the bulbs will not do well, but I don't have much choice as I am away on holiday and will not be back until it is too late to plant bulbs. In the wood I am planting 500 bluebells, 100 Wood Anenome and 100 Wild garlic. In the field I am putting 500 Snake's Head Fritillary (all bulbs were from Meadowmania http://www.meadowmania.co.uk).

Bulbs have arrived - time for planting!


The dry and warm autumn means that there are still bees and insects around. However they will soon need a place to hibernate, so as well as the 'bug hotels' made from the plastic tree protectors (see post of 24/4/2016) I have also constructed 'hibernation heaps'. These are piles of branches that are then covered with a thick layer of grass and bramble cuttings.

The structure is open at one side, created by putting the butt ends of the branches in the same direction and not covering this with grass. This means that there is some air movement and the grass will stay dry and not just compost, remaining  good place to hide away through the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment