Saturday 15 October 2016

End of the Planting Season

The last few weeks have concentrated on planting out all of the pots that I have been growing over the summer. Ideally this would have been done by the end of September - with planting out in the wildflower meadow being done just after cutting to give the plants a chance to establish themselves without too much competition from the grass. However I am much later than this work gets in the way of planting wildflowers! Still I have planted out about 50 pots over the last 4 weeks.


Planting has been mainly cowslip, common agrimony, meadow cranesbill and valerian.  I am now hoping for a good few days of wet and warm weather before the frosts set in in order for the new plantings to put down some roots. I have ben 'topping off' the grass in the part of the meadow where the grass is getting quite coarse to try and keep the coarse grass down and let the finer grasses and wild flowers come through a bit more.

About 3 weeks ago I also scattered oxeye daisy, wild carrot, yellow rattle, red clover and feverfew seeds on areas of the meadow where there was still bare earth. Bulb planting next - they are on order and I hope will arrive soon so that we can get them into the ground in the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment